Bands & Performers
- Aspire Big Band - Aspire Big Band is Wellington's newest big band, and is made up of staff, graduates and the most talented students from the Aspire Music Performance Academy.
- Valley Stompers Wellington Dixieland Jazz band, still swinging after 35 years.
- The Liberty Swing Band is an 18 piece Dance Band modeled after the classic format of the bands of Glenn Miller, Count Basie, Duke Ellington and the many other bands of the Big Band Era.
- Hot Club Sandwich is a Wellington-based trio who play a repertoire of jazz, blues and country swing standards and original songs.
- Central Band of the Royal New Zealand Air Force. Apart from full symphonic band performances, the Central Band also has a brass quintet, a full swing band, a jazz combo, a saxophone ensemble and an eight person Herald Fanfare Trumpet ensemble.
- Geoff Culverwell is one of the countries most prolific horn players, playing sessions from big band lead to pop & jazz recording.
- The Cattlestops play a variety of country-flavoured standards and original songs, with a particular emphasis on Western swing, a genre popularised in the 1930s around the Southwestern USA by artists such as Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. Western Swing is a hybrid of jazz, bluegrass and blues styles traditionally played on stringed instruments like fiddles, mandolins and guitars rather than the brass and reed instruments more popular in the North at that time.
© 2009 Wellington Jazz Club